Interreg IPA CBC Bulgaria – Republic of North Macedonia
Protecting the environment and promoting climate change adaptation and mitigation, risk prevention and management through, inter alia: joint actions for environmental protection; promoting sustainable use of natural resources, resource efficiency, renewable energy sources and the shift towards a safe and sustainable low-carbon economy; promoting investment to address specific risks, ensuring disaster resilience and developing disaster management systems and emergency preparedness;
- Environmental protection and sustainable use of the common natural resources of the CBC area
- Risk prevention and mitigation the consequences of natural and man-made hazards and disasters in the CBC region
Encouraging tourism and cultural and natural heritage;
- Enhancing the tourism potential of the region through better preservation and sustainable utilization of natural and cultural heritage
- Raising the competitiveness of the CBC region’s tourist offer
- Promoting cooperation among regional actors in the area of sustainable tourism
Enhancing competitiveness, the business environment and the development of small and medium-sized enterprises, trade and investment through, inter alia, promotion and support to entrepreneurship, in particular small and medium-sized enterprises, and development of local cross-border markets and internationalisation;
- Improving the competitiveness of regional businesses
- Thematic objective Protecting the environment and promoting climate change adaptation and mitigation, risk prevention and management through, inter alia: joint actions for environmental protection; promoting sustainable use of natural resources, resource efficiency, renewable energy sources and the shift towards a safe and sustainable low-carbon economy; promoting investment to address specific risks, ensuring disaster resilience and developing disaster management systems and emergency preparedness; Specific objective
See the list of all projects at
Currently there are neither job vacancies or calls for projects open for this programme
Programme Thematic Objectives
Last open call closed on 11th May 20182nd Call for proposals
- Bulgaria nuts 3 level
- Blagoevgrad (Благоевград)
- Kyustendil (Кюстендил)
- More details about Bulgaria
- Republic of North Macedonia nuts 3 level
- Jugoistočen (Југоисточен)
- Istočen (Источен)
- Severoistočen (Североисточен)
- More details about Republic of North Macedonia
- Bulgaria nuts 3 level
The Interreg-IPA “Bulgaria – the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia” cross-border programme adopted on 5th August 2015 by the Commission with Decision № C (2015) 5653 and focuses on measures aiming at mitigating the effects of climate change and at addressing issues related to the conservation of nature and biodiversity, the sustainable use of natural resources, environmental protection and risk management at cross-border level. A key focus of the programme is also put on the protection of the natural and cultural heritage sites in the region. Moreover, funding will help enhance the competitiveness of SMEs and facilitate their access to new markets.
Corina Crețu, Commissioner for Regional Policy said: “I am pleased to adopt this cooperation programme between Bulgaria and the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. Cross-border programmes depend on the strong will of the participating countries to pool resources together to tackle joint challenges. By cooperating on environment, tourism and SME competitiveness, the region can increase its attractiveness for tourists and investors. I wish both countries success in setting up this cooperation, and supporting projects that will capitalise on the regional strengths.”
The Interreg IPA CBC programme covers 2 border regions in Bulgaria and 3 regions from the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. It is worth more than €19 million with a contribution of nearly €17 million from the Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance (IPA).
Some of the expected results include:
- Improved capacity for environmental protection and sustainable use of joint natural resources for example by investing in green infrastructure as well as in training and capacity building activities for public authorities
- Improved capacity for joint reaction in case of fires, floods and other emergency situations by restoring river banks, zonal and regional/local planning adapted to the river basin and by implementing comprehensive fire protecting initiatives.
- Increased attractiveness for tourism through the restoration of heritage buildings and the maintenance of traditional landscapes.
- Enhanced cooperation and networking for sustainable tourism development
- Improved conditions for business development: competitive local economy based on regional assets and with strong links to international markets by strengthening for example the capacities of an education system oriented to the market demands.
- Enhanced capacity of public and private sector for business development by promoting entrepreneurship and cooperation for exchange of new ideas, skills and technology and fostering the creation of new firms.
The 5 NUTS III or equivalent regions involved in the Interreg IPA CBC Bulgaria – the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia programme are:
- In Bulgaria: Districts of Blagoevgrad and Kyustendil.
- In the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: North East, South East, and East regions
The programme will focus on the following three priorities:
- Sustainable tourism;
Total Budget of the cooperation programme: €19 461 690.
Total EU contribution (IPA – Instrument for Pre-accession Assistance): €16 542 434.
The programme is managed by the Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works of the Republic of Bulgaria, Contact: “Stefan Karadzha” str. № 9, 1000 Sofia, Bulgaria –http://www.mrrb.government.bg
Programme documents can be found HERE
Main office Kyustendil
- +359 (0)78 55 11 85
- Kyustendil 2500, "Marin Drinov" Str. № 7
Branch office Strumitsa
- + 389 (0)34 330 331
- Strumica, 2400 NN Blagoja Muceto street fl.2
Army House (City Park) Strumica
Ministry of Regional Development and Public Works of the Republic of Bulgaria Directorate of Territorial Cooperation Management
- Sofia 1000, Bulgaria
“Stefan Karadzha” str. № 9